5 Ways You Can Avoid Electrical Fires

Posted by

Everyone likes the sense of security and safety; however, very few people pay attention to what needs to be done in order to have that safety and security. Many things in your day-to-day life require to be attended to well, or it can cause issues. For example, if you have a car, you should always make sure that it is well serviced, the engine and everything are working at maximum efficiency. This assures you safety while you are driving your car. Similarly, you must have electrical appliances and wirings at your home, and those need to be kept in check. These can cause fire and explosions if left unchecked, and you might end up with the loss of material as well as life. So here are some of the ways you can avoid fire caused by electrical appliances, wires, etc.

Outdated Wiring

In the early times, the metal used for wiring was aluminum because it was cheaper; however, with the evolving knowledge, now the modern wiring in homes is done with copper. If your home is not new and has old wiring, chances are it is outdated wiring and can cause an electrical fire in your house. If this is the case, you should immediately get residential electrician services in north bay as soon as possible. If you have outlets in your home that often shock you or have melted, or if there are strange burning smells in your home, or if your circuit is always overloaded, the chances are that you have outdated wiring which is acting up, and you need to take precautions right away.

Overloaded Panel

The electrical panel is the one point through which all the electricity in your house passes through. It is a hub of a kind. The panel is what your entire house’s electricity depends on; hence the panel needs to be in its best state. The panel’s best state depends on how it is installed, whether it has started rusting, or if it is old. If the panel is not in its best state, it can be a dangerous fire hazard. Frequent power fluctuation or overload in the panel will cause fires through melted wires.

Misused Extension Cords

Using extension cords can be tricky as they are not supposed to be permanent. If you use extension cords on permanent bases due to socket location in the room, it can cause a fire. Extension cords also have specific wattage, and if you don’t keep that in mind, you are likely to end up with a risky electrical fire possibility. Another reason extension cords can cause fire is that the extension cords and boards are often coiled under or behind rugs, furniture, etc. This causes those extension cords to overheat and become a risk. Suppose you do not have enough sockets or need sockets in different locations in your room. In that case, you should have an electrician install more sockets or change the location of sockets instead of using extension cords permanently.

Older Power Outlets

We need electricity for pretty much everything; most of our lives depend on various appliances and digital devices, which means excessive use of power outlets. Much like panels, wiring, and such, having old unchecked power outlets can cause fires too. Such outlets often shock you or work sometimes and don’t work the other times. This can cause the outlets to wear and tear, becoming a fire hazard. You should also make sure that the outlets are grounded.

Older Appliances

Using old appliances that eat up more electricity or create a network of risky wiring can also be a reason for an electrical fire. When you use old appliances such as a washing machine or a blender, it might be working just fine, and you might think it’s all okay. However, old appliances can be dangerous because they don’t have in-built precautionary features, which you can find in modern appliances. These old appliances may also not be compatible with your home’s electrical wirings, etc., because of outdated wattage, capacities, and requirements. One way to reduce this risk is by unplugging the appliance whenever it is not in use; however, replacing it with new appliances would be the best bet.

You might not realize the gravity of the situation before it’s too late if you don’t pay much attention to the state of your house’s electrical appliances, supply, and network. Minor things like one power outlet or a loose wire can cause a massive fire that could swallow your whole house in flames and smoke. The only way to avoid this is to have an electrician check everything and assure you that there are no risky points in your home. And in case of any changes are required, you should get them right away so that there are no unfortunate accidents.

Leave a Reply