As soon as swimming headphones appeared on the market, cherubs with copper pipes descended from heaven and played divine music, and cupids with snow-white wings announced to all lovers of splashing in the pool or on open water that their prayers were heard. Now you cannot stop for a minute part with your favorite tracks.
Waterproof wireless earbuds are a great invention. Rhythmic music has been proven to increase heart rate, distract from pain and fatigue, and, of course, elevate mood, which together makes training more effective. Swimming in the pool, sea, or ocean to the sounds of your favorite tunes is cool!
Diving headphones are a relatively recent invention, but they have already caught on. However, don’t buy the first one you see. This device is different from those that you connect to your player or smartphone every day. In this review, I will tell you what to look for before buying underwater headphones, as well as the most popular models.
How to choose the right headphones for swimming
Even if you see the word “waterproof” on the packaging, do not rush to give money to the seller. According to international standards, waterproof devices have an IP index (protection against dust and water ingress) from X0 to X8. Headphones X0 are generally not suitable for swimming, devices with the X1 index can be worn in the rain, and for serious water procedures, it is better to purchase the X7 or X8 models.
What is the difference between regular headphones and special ones for swimming?
Waterproof headphones have their own specifics:
- Most of them use Bluetooth to connect to a smartphone. There are also models that already have an mp3 player built-in, in which case the control is carried out through a special “finger” remote control.
- Swimming headphones are usually in-ear type devices Since they close the ear canal, the proper level of hydro and sound insulation is provided.
- “Underwater” devices are fixed as tightly as possible in the auricle, giving the user complete freedom of action. They are virtually maintenance-free and do not require any maintenance.
- Waterproof headphones are lightweight and have the most ergonomic, anatomical design. Many of them are equipped with special clips that help hold the device in a certain position.
- In online stores, you can find a swimming headset that uses bone conduction technology. The peculiarity of these models is that the speaker is located opposite the cheekbone, and the sound is perceived by the inner ear.
There is still a fly in the ointment in this huge barrel of honey: despite all the advantages and some advantages over conventional devices, waterproof models also have disadvantages. First of all, it’s the sound quality. Headphones for the pool lose by this criterion as standard. This is primarily due to audio transmission technology: Bluetooth degrades and distorts the signal.
Some models are equipped with an amplifier that reduces the risk of loss of volume. This does not affect the clarity and depth of the sound. Expensive models support the adaptive noise reduction function, when activated, the user can listen to music and environmental sounds. The second “disadvantage” is the cost. The price of waterproof headphones is higher than regular ones.