To backup movies to DVD or play the movie on iPhone, Android phone, or other devices, DVD Ripper or DVD Converter is your first choice to convert DVDs to AVI, MP4, MP3, and other digital video formats.
However, do you know what is the best software that can convert DVD to MP4 on PC or Mac? If you find it difficult to choose the right program, you can learn more about DVD converters from the review in the article.
Choose the right program to extract video and audio files from DVD accordingly. However, the question is how to convert DVD to MP4? So, let’s now find out what are the best ways to convert DVD to MP4.
Different Ways to Convert DVD to MP4 on PC/Mac
There are different software that can be used to convert DVD to MP4. Among those, the most famous ways are Handbrake because it’s a free tool. Let’s know in detail about the great DVD to MP4 converter for both PC and Mac OS X.
1. The Best Free Tool – HandBrake
Compatibility: Windows 10/8/7, macOS 10.11 or later, Linux
Latest versions: 1.5.1 released on 10th January 2022
Handbrake is an open-source DVD to MP4 conversion tool. It can rip DVD to MP4 or MKV for a better viewing experience on your PC or devices.
Using HandBrake, you can convert home or unencrypted DVDs to digital videos without additional plugins. To convert, copy the entire DVD or just some of the titles and chapters. Then export the DVD to multiple video formats and device presets. You can also customize the video codec, frame rate, video quality, and more on HandBrake.
- Free and open-source software
- Batch processing capabilities and resuming encoding anytime later.
- Extract high-quality DVD to high-quality H.265 video formats.
- Unable to rip copy-protected DVDs without 3rd-party software
- Lack of editing and preview functions with DVD Converter for Mac.
- Difficult to master for beginners with so many options.
- Limited presets that require customization from the built-in library.
How to Rip DVD to MP4 with Handbrake?
Before starting to use the program, you need to download and install it. Then, take a look at the steps below to see how you can use it to convert DVD to MP4 on MAC.
- Launch the HandBrake software on your PC/Mac.
- Then connect your DVD drive to your PC/Mac and insert the DVD disc to rip into it.
- Launch Handbrake on your computer, if Handbrake doesn’t recognize the DVD; click the “Open Source” button to choose the disc from your DVD drive.
- The software will analyse the DVD and let you choose the Title and Chapters to rip.
- After that select MP4 File as the output format from the “Format:” drop-down menu.
- If you want, you can choose the Save As: “Browse” button to choose the location to save the file.
- Click the “Start Encode” button (Windows) or “Start” button (Mac) to start the DVD to MP4 ripping process on your computer.
- The Start Tab is the second tab from the left. It comes after the Source tab.
1. Use a Paid Tool – MacX DVD Ripper Pro
Price: $59.95 for a Lifetime License
Compatibility: Windows 7 or later; Mac OS X 10.6 or later
Latest versions: 6.6.2 released on 1st December 2021
MacX DVD Ripper Pro is one of the best DVD rippers for Mac that you can use it to convert DVDs to many output formats including MP4. It supports a wide range of file formats, including the most commonly used HEVC, MP4, and even AVI, H.264, MOV, MKV, etc.
It can even perform many advanced features commonly used in video editing software, such as trimming video clips/segments from DVD, crop frame size, merge individual movie titles into one, add external subtitles to a movie, decrypt Mac DVD, adjust video settings, and more.
- A DVD ripper uses hardware acceleration technology to ensure smooth and faster operation. Just simple 3-step to convert a DVD.
- The software support all home and commercial DVDs, including bypass the region code and encryptions on DVDs.
- It has many presets available that let you easily convert the DVD to different formats and are suitable for computers, smartphones, and gadgets.
- Built-in media player allows you to play DVD on Mac before conversion.
- There is no option to convert to H.265 codec with DVD Converter for Mac.
- Edit functions and other advanced options are only available in the Pro version.
- The user interface is ugly and a bit outdated for the Windows operating system.
How To Rip DVD to MP4 with MacX DVD Ripper Pro?
Before you use the software, make sure you have downloaded and successfully install the program.
- Load up your DVD, and launch the MacX dvd ripper pro software.
- The DVD should auto-load. Else, click on the “DVD Disc” in the top-left corner of the screen to load the DVD.
- Then choose the output format from the drop-down menu by clicking on the “General Profiles” option, then choose MP4 Video. Click the “Done” button.
- You can tick the option: “Use High Quality Engine” as this will enhance the output quality.
- [Optional] If you want to set the “Destination Folder:” location, Click on the “Browse” button to choose a folder to store the converted output files.
- Finally, hit the “RUN” button to start the DVD ripping process. After some time, you can see the converted files in the folder that you specified.
If you have a DVD collection, these apps can help you back up and transcode DVDs to digital files easily and quickly. Just learn more about DVD Converter and choose the right program according to your requirements.
The free tools were mostly unable to deal with DVDs with copyright protections while the paid dvd rippers are better, faster, and have customer support if you encounter software glitches or any other problems.