Happy owner of a blog, you check its statistics every day and it’s the same observation: its attendance is at its lowest. Do you want your writings to be read, commented on and shared? Want more traffic? Do not panic! Discover this 8-step guide right away, where I explain step by step how to build and write an effective blog post that will attract Internet users. Let’s go!
1) Come up with a story idea
First, you need to choose a topic. If you are facing the white page syndrome, several solutions are available to you:
- Observe what your competitors are doing and the topics they discuss. It is then up to you to articulate your text in a different way, bringing your own expertise and point of view;
- Use Google’s autocomplete. Type a word related to your field of activity in the search engine. This will automatically suggest associated terms that correspond to requests from Internet users. You can also use the Answer the Public site to find frequently asked questions on the internet around the theme of your choice;
- Take inspiration from the English-speaking blogosphere;
- Talk to the people around you: customers, prospects, professionals in your sector, even your loved ones! Discussing with them will allow you to know what they expect from your articles.
With these different methods you will find subjects that inspire you, but which are also sought after by Internet users.
2) Do your research
To write an effective blog post, it is important that you provide reliable information to your readers. There are two aspects to consider when it comes to doing your research:
- Find reliable sources: do not hesitate to rely on authoritative sources, i.e., government sites, official sites (for example, if you are writing about a stay in Lyon, consult the tourist office), recognized media, official statistics sites, etc.;
- Multiply the sources: do not limit your research to a single site, read several to cross-reference information.
3) Define your main query and keywords
Do you know what SEO is? It is the acronym for Search Engine Optimization, optimization for search engines in French. It is the set of techniques used to make a site visible on the internet. This is also called natural referencing. In order to improve the position of your blog in a “natural” way (understand here: without paying for advertising) in the Google results page, you must take care to work on your content and thus optimize it. For this, you must choose the best ghostwriting services for query of your article. It is the word or sequence of words typed into Google by the Internet user that will lead to your page. To define it, you must take into account your subject and you can then, at your choice:
- write down all the words or expressions that come to mind in relation to your theme;
- use tools that will allow you to see those searched by Internet users and how often (like Google Keyword Planner for example).
To write your blog article, focus on a single main keyword and complement it with secondary queries, related to the lexical field of your subject.
4) Come up with a good headline idea
The title represents the reader’s gateway to your article. This one must seduce, but also be optimized. It’s about pleasing Internet users, but also Google so that it offers a good position for your text in the SERP (Google’s results page). Your title should include your main query and entice you to click. Think about how your writing is structured and how much value you add to it. So, if you start it with “How…?” is that it explains to the Internet user “how” to accomplish something. Ditto if you write “X tips for…”, it means that you give this precise number of tips. We must not neglect consistency, even in web writing!
5) Establish a good structure for writing an effective blog post
On the Internet, Internet users are overwhelmed by a wealth of information. On average, they only spend 37 seconds on an article (source: News red). It is therefore unlikely that they will read it in full. An explicit structure offers an overview of the text to the reader and he finds it more easily. Follow a common thread and keep the promise made in the title and introduction. Without this, he will be lost, probably disappointed and will leave your site without even having finished reading it… This is not what we want! A well-structured article is constructed as follows:
- a relevant title containing your main keyword and that makes you want to click;
- an introduction that challenges and addresses the subject of the article in a few points and encourages reading the rest;
- several parts to detail your writing with optimized subtitles (called H2), that is to say which include your keywords;
- sub-subtitles (H3) if you need to air and organize your H2;
- a conclusion that summarizes the main idea of your text to which is associated a call to action (a button or a link that invites the reader to take action such as visiting another page of the blog, contacting you, sharing the article, etc.).
Building a plan will allow you to have clearer ideas and not to spread yourself too thin. A well-structured article is easy to read!
6) Write content suitable for the web
You need to follow a few basic “rules” to make your text look nice, understandable, and optimized. Here are some tips for writing an effective blog post:
- prefer simple terms to technical jargon;
- make short sentences;
- if the length of your paragraphs exceeds 300 words, break them up with images or bulleted or numbered lists;
- put keywords in bold;
- tag the different parts of your article (H2, H3) to clearly indicate its structure to search engines;
- avoid duplicate content at all costs (blocks of text copied from another site without making any changes) because in addition to being dishonest, it is severely punished by Google!
7) Edit and retouch your blog post
You have just finished writing your text and you want to publish it now? Stop there! Proofreading is an essential step and is sometimes far too neglected. This is essential to avoid mistakes that could penalize your writing. Let some time pass after your writing session. With a clear head, you can hunt for repetitions, spelling, conjugation, grammar and syntax errors. Share your text with a relative or a colleague, an outside eye can never hurt. Finally, feel free to read it aloud. You will be able to better understand the rhythm and detect repetitions and sentences that are too long or complicated.
8) Optimize your blog post for good natural referencing
Last step and not least! Indispensable, the optimization of your text will allow you to improve your natural referencing. Some elements should not be left out when drafting. Here is a small checklist of things to check to charm the Google algorithm:
- ensure the presence of your main query in the title, the introduction and at least one H2 as well as your secondary queries;
- insert a maximum of 2 or 3 links to other pages of your blog to strengthen the internal network (the Internet user will thus be able to move from article to article and will stay longer on your site);
- fill in the meta description (summary of your content that appears under the blue link in the SERP);
- shorten your page URL by keeping only the essential words and your main query;
- Name your images correctly and fill in the alt tag to optimize them for image search.
Once your text has been fully corrected and optimized, it is ready for publication! If you already have a small community around you, share it on social networks to bring it to life even before the Google robot has visited it. This will undoubtedly give a boost to your text and your blog as a whole!
You now have all the keys to writing an effective blog post. There is no miracle recipe for obtaining a good or even an excellent position on Google. But by following these steps and practicing, your efforts should pay off! To put the odds on your side, do not hesitate to call on the talents of Web. Collaborating with a professional web writer will allow you to publish optimized and unique blog posts.