Today, generations are growing up in an age where technology is their primary source of information, education and entertainment. No more going to the library to copy a few pages of an encyclopedia for school projects. Recent research found that children aged eight to 12 in the United States spend nearly five hours per day looking at screens. Teenagers spend almost seven hours each day on the screen, not counting the time spent doing schoolwork. The number of hours spent learning in physical classrooms from chalkboards has decreased significantly since the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent social restrictions and lockdowns.
AI is used in education to assist teachers in understanding each student’s potential and limitations.
The impact of artificial intelligence as a practical technology can be seen in diverse industry verticals. This is true in all industries, including the education sector. Different schools across the country are using artificial intelligence in education. AI has opened up a new way of seeing education for students, teachers, parents, and educational institutions.
These statistics will shed light on artificial intelligence and education.
- In 2020, the AI in the education market surpassed 1 billion USD. Between 2021-2027, it is expected to grow at an average CAGR of more than 40%. (Global Market Insights)
- Artificial intelligence is expected to generate 25.7 billion dollars in revenue by 2030. (Prescient and strategic intelligence)
- Global AI in education is expected to reach 3.68 billion USD by 2023. (Markets and markets)
Considerations before implementing AI in schools
- Identify the role played by artificial intelligence in schools.
- The use of AI in schools will automate critical processes.
- Challenges of teaching with AI in schools and ways to overcome them.
- Alignment of artificial Intelligence with the school environment.
- Make a smooth transition process so teachers and students can seamlessly transition from chalkboard and whiteboard to AI classrooms.
- How to use AI in schools for actionable insights that can be used to make better decisions
Artificial intelligence plays a significant role in education
These are some real-world applications for AI in education.
1) Automating basic administrative tasks
Teachers spend a lot of time on administrative tasks like grading and assessing worksheets. AI can be used in education to automate the assessment and grading of activities such as multiple-choice questions, fill in the blanks, and so on. Preparing student report cards is another tedious and time-consuming task for teachers. This task can be automated with artificial intelligence. Automating administrative tasks allows teachers to spend more time with students and make learning more efficient.
2) Personalized learning
AI is an excellent tool for teachers and students in schools. AI is used in education to assist teachers in understanding each student’s potential and limitations. Teachers can create a customized study plan for each student by understanding their needs.
3) Constructive Feedback
Artificial intelligence programs can offer valuable feedback to students and teachers. Students get instant feedback that helps them understand their mistakes and what they can do better. AI can be used in classrooms to help teachers improve their lessons and make learning more enjoyable.
4) Accessible to all
Artificial intelligence is used in education to overcome geographical barriers. Learning is now accessible to all students through AI in classrooms. AI in education can be a blessing to students who are slow learners or cannot attend school because of illness or injury. Through AI in education, students can be taught by the best teachers anywhere on the planet.
All schools have not yet fully embraced the use of AI in education. AI and education will co-exist in the future. Although AI has already transformed education, its true potential is still to be realized.