Healthcare is now available and inexpensive to everyone thanks to medical tourism. Medical tourism offers a long-desired option, even for life-threatening medical conditions. For people who require kidney transplants, one of the most alluring medical tourism destinations in India. India has far more affordable options for kidney transplant surgery than wealthy nations like the United States and the United Kingdom. The following statistics demonstrate the efficacy of India’s expanding Kidney Transplant Program.
Kidney transplants – what are they?
The diseased kidney is removed during surgery, and a healthy donor kidney is put in its place. In situations of complete renal failure, a transplant is advised. The body’s waste products begin to build up when the kidneys lose their capacity to filter. End-stage renal disease and an increase in blood pressure are the results of this. The following is a list of some of the most typical causes of end-stage renal diseases:
- Intractable hypertension
- A chronic kidney disease
- renal polycystic disease
Expenses of kidney transplantation in India
In India, kidney transplants are substantially less expensive than they are in other industrialized countries like the US. In India, the price is between 8000 and 13,000 USD, whereas in the US, you may pay up to 80,000 USD. Additionally, the cost of living there is quite expensive. The precise cost may only be determined after careful consideration and may change depending on numerous factors including:
- The case’s intricacy
- Types of Diabetes
- selecting a hospital
- City and hospital for treatment
- any further medical ailment
- Immune system disorders
The legal requirements in India for kidney transplants
A kidney transplant in India is subject to uncompromising rules. Here are some highlights:
- The patient’s close family members may donate a kidney. The spouse, parents, children, and siblings are considered to be close relatives.
- Government approval is necessary if a donor cannot be a close relative. Only when there is no connection to a business scenario is the authorization granted.
The patient must register himself and join the waiting list if he is unable to find a donor on his own. The patient would have to undergo dialysis up to that point, and the wait may be lengthy.
After a kidney transplant, the recovery period can be long
After a kidney transplant, the healing period may persist for 4-6 weeks. The patient must spend a few days in the hospital. depending on several elements, including
- the kidney transplant type
- adaptability of the body to the new organ
- general state of health
- Immune system disorders
What takes place during the recuperation stage
- Several drugs and their dosages are altered after your hospital discharge. The hospital staff will explain the medication schedule to you and sit down with you for a thorough discussion of the post-operative instructions.
- You’ll be instructed to regularly check on your health as well. For at least six weeks following the transplant, for instance, you will need to record your fluid consumption and urine output. Additionally, you must daily record your weight, blood pressure, and body temperature.
- After the discharge, you are free to rejoin your social life, but you must respect your body’s limitations.
- The hospital’s emergency phone number must be memorized, and you must be aware of the warning signs and symptoms before calling.
- Regular exercise is essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure, weight, and cholesterol levels. A minimum of 15-20 minutes of exercise is required each day.
A kidney transplant’s success rate
A survey found that over 98% of patients who underwent living-donor kidney transplants were able to live for at least five years after the procedure. 90% of them have a five-year survival rate. Approximately 94% of recipients of deceased-living kidney transplants continued to have their livers for at least one year and 82% continued to have their livers for five additional years.
You can still think about getting dialysis or a second transplant even if the transplanted kidney fails. For the kidney to function more effectively, it is preferable to take proper care during the healing phase.